Sunday, January 29, 2012

Beauty and the Beast interview with Dane Agostinis

Dane Agostinis
Leading man Dane Agostinis is very excited to be coming to Vancouver. We sat down with the star of the current Beauty and the Beast tour via Skype and chatted with him about some of the "magical" moments on the tour so far, exactly how long it takes for him to put on the Beast costume himself, and why Vancouver holds a very special place in his heart.

F: To get into the Beast costume, do you have to show up to the theatre earlier than you’re used to [for a musical theatre production]?

D: I used to. When I was first starting, I had to get to the theatre an hour and a half before each calltime, before each show. That was getting a bit too taxing on me, and I just didn’t have enough time to prepare and warm up and all this stuff. I had to get in the makeup chair at an hour and a half and get everything done. Wig and everything. So I asked if it would be possible for me to do it myself. That way I can do my warm-up and everything on my own time. And they luckily granted that. So now I’ve been doing my own makeup and wig and even getting dressed by myself for a good six months now.

F: No?! So you actually put on the prosthetic appliance yourself?

D: Yep.

F: That’s awesome! So now, by yourself, how long does it take for you to do the makeup for the show?
"I can get [my makeup] done in thirty minutes if I need to"
(with Emily Behny as Belle)
D: Sometimes I like to get there at calltime and at least be getting it ready by forty-five minutes. Sometimes I have a little less… drive on certain days [laughs]. I can get it done in thirty minutes if I need to. But I’m always rushing at that and it’s never fun. Forty-five is a good time for me.

F: For the experience of playing Beast, do you find that the costume helps you get into character?

D: Oh yeah. Honestly I’ve always felt that in every role that I’ve done. You do so much with research and everything. But especially something like the Beast, to put on all the makeup and this giant wig with the horns… it changes me immediately. I think that’s a very useful tool. And I’m thankful for that. Because if I wasn’t in a great costume, it would be harder to bring that forth.

F: And what kind of research did you have to do to prepare for a role like Beast?

D: I didn’t want to copy any Beasts that had been done before. I don’t like to do that in any role. So I didn’t watch the movie and I didn’t see the play… well, I wouldn’t have been able to [laughs]. When I was working with my director, the biggest challenge was to find the way that the Beast moves. The way he carries himself, walks and everything. [My director] told me to go back and look at different beasts… different animals. Right now, we still haven’t pinpointed… and I don’t think that we ever will, what kind of animal Beast is. He’s just an amalgamation of everything. He’s hunched over a lot. He has a big, huge hump on his back. So that should have an effect on him. Like he leans forward, and I’m always crouched. I just have to do stuff like that. And I let the actual words in the play live with me for a while. I just let it… I hate this word… but organically come. So I had a good time with that. And a lot of it was just finding it in the rehearsal room with the director who was so confident in me that it just let me do what need to be done. And I think that it worked. Or hopefully it’s working [laughs].
"The tour is extremely lucky to have the original
Broadway and Disney team behind it"
F: Disney is known for its “magic.” Have you found any part of your experience working on this show magical or special?

D: This tour is extremely lucky to have the original Broadway and Disney team behind it. From everybody. We have the original set designer, costume, lighting. Director, choreographer. Everything. To be selected to do this, from them… that means a lot. These people have been doing this on Broadway for years. So just to know that I can hold up to their standard, I was happy about that and completely humbled about being able to work with them. And then during the process, it was quite magical because it felt right. With my connection with the director and my connection with our Belle and all the other characters… it felt right. I think the entire process has been, as you say… magical. Or should I say Disney magical [laughs].

F: How has the audience reaction been so far in the tour? Is there any city that stands out?

D: My ultimate city, I don’t if it’s because I opened there, but I played the last three days of the L.A. engagement. And we played at the Pantages Theatre, and this was my first performance. The crowds there were amazing and we were like rockstars on that stage. They were going wild! They had said that the show hadn’t been there for quite a while since the original tour so it’s been quite a while since anybody had seen Beauty and the Beast. And just [being in] L.A. alone, it was my first time through L.A. and it was my first experience being over there. And not to mention that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and their daughter were in the audience that first night.

F: Oh… that’s very cool.

D: That was cool. Yeah, they came back and talked to us. So that made it really memorable.

F: Since you have family here, how does coming to Vancouver feel for you?

D: I can’t wait. I’m only thinking of that. I’ve been thinking of that since… well, since I knew I was going there. I get an update from them all the time and they’re saying, “Well now we have twenty five people coming this one night...” and other nights. It’s just exciting. A lot of them haven’t seen me perform because they’ve been in Vancouver and I’ve been living in New York. I’ve been performing in New York so a lot of my family hasn’t seen me do anything. And so for something like this role, playing Beast in the National tour… I’ve always wanted to play Vancouver because I used to go there all the time and we’d see shows and I would hang out in Vancouver. Because I lived in Seattle for ten years. It was only a three hour drive, so we would be up in Vancouver as much as we could. It gets me really excited and I can’t wait to have them all there. I luckily get to stay with them at home for that week. So that as well. And yeah… if you could see me, I have a permanent smile on my face thinking about it.

F: Yes, I can hear it in your voice!

D: I just can’t wait.

F: So it sounds like you’ve got lots of support here in Vancouver. That’s fabulous! Is there anything specific that you’re looking forward to doing with your family?

D: Just being there, having our family dinners. It’s a big Italian family, so we usually have antipasto and… It sounds like nothing, but that’s my favourite time. Just all of us around the dinner table just laughing and talking. I really just can’t wait for them to see the show and get away from hotels for a while. [laughs] I used to love to go fishing and would go fishing with my dad, my brother and family all the time. And so he was actually looking into taking me fishing on the day we have off there. So that’d be fun, I’m up for anything and everything. I want sushi when we get there.

F: Of course. The last performer I talked to, I think he was based from Ontario and he also mentioned wanting [Vancouver] sushi. Seems to be a common trend [laughs]. One last question… and it doesn’t have to be from Beauty and the Beast… what’s something you’ve had to do onstage that you never ever would’ve thought you’d have to do.

D: Well, I do have a Beauty and the Beast one. And I have another one. The Beauty and the Beast one… without giving away too much… well, people know the show.

F: People know the show (if you don’t spoiler alert!)

D: In the end some magic happens and hopefully there’s a transformation, shall we say. And one night when that was happening, or rather… not happening. I had to do the transformation in a way that we just called the “Martha Graham.” And if you know Martha Graham, she’s this choreographer who does a bunch of weird body movement and pulsating. So I had to do that when our transformation wasn’t working one night. It was interesting to say that least. I can only compare it to Avatar when they’re around the home tree and they’re on their knees and they’re moving around, trying to get the tree alive. It’s something I’m always praying will never have to happen again.

F: And the other scenario…?

D: The other one, which is not very Disney… my very first professional show, I did Debbie Does Dallas the musical. And there is a little bit of a scene that involves everyone in the girl’s lockeroom… shower, rather [laughs].

F: That scene's classic! [laughs]

D: And there was a bit less… costume than the Beast has to wear, let’s say. As fun as it was, it was frightening to do the very first time. But we had screens and it’s choreographed very wisely and smart. So nothing was… revealed too much. Oh, and I guess that goes along the lines of I did Full Monty once and we’ll just leave it at that [laughs].


(in case you were wondering...)


Follow Dane via his Facebook fanpage. For tour dates, tickets, images and videos from the upcoming production, visit BeautyandtheBeastontour.comBeauty and the Beast on tour will be playing at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver from Feb 8 - 12, 2012. Tickets via Ticketmaster.



Posted by Filipina Colada

No comments:

Post a Comment